second ExamplesEN[ˈsɛk.(ə)nd] [ˈsɛk.(ə)nt] [səˈkɒnd] [-ɒnd]
'a second' UK US
- Examples of second
- and the aortic component of the second sound (A2) is normal.
- Our second front will, in fact, comprise both the Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts of Europe, and we can push either right-handed, left-handed, or both-handed as our resources and circumstances permit.
- In the new store, replicated beams were added to the ceiling in the sales area, where cellarlike arches and accents are repeated in the events room on the second level.
- He dealt with the troublemaker in a Christianly manner, by offering him a second chance.
- The runner in second place is closing the gap on the leader.
- Ukraine, however, will complain long and hard about a contentious second-half incident when Marko Devic's shot clearly crossed the line before it was scrambled away by John Terry, only for the officials to remain unmoved.
- Examples of seconds
- The dogs however parted, and after a little handling by their seconds immediately returned to the charge
- In a raucous atmosphere, it was an unforgiving and physical contest from the start. Grant Hanley conceded the first free-kick within the opening 20 seconds, setting the tone for a busy and thankless evening for Serbian referee Milorad Mazic.
- While the basic automatic-transmission 528xi takes a snoozy 7.6 seconds to reach 60 miles an hour, the 535xi blazes there in 5.6 seconds, a remarkable two-second advantage.
- A woman has come to me with the complaint that her website is not sticky: 70% of the visits last 30 seconds or less.
- The clutch of his Focus overheated in the traffic jam around the stadium and he had to nurse the car through the Saturday night superspecial, dropping five seconds to the flying Loeb.
- Grading the twenty-question true-false quiz took only 30 seconds per student.
- Blanch the unbrined octopus arms for 30 seconds in boiling water, cook them in a covered dry pan in a 200-degree oven for four or five hours or until tender, and cool them slowly in their own juices.
- The rain came down drenchingly and we were soaked to the skin in mere seconds.
- Examples of seconded
- When a man's verses cannot be understood, nor a man's good wit seconded with the forward child, understanding, it strikes a man more dead than a great reckoning in a little room.
- Bimbashi Hilary Joyce, seconded from the Royal Mallow Fusiliers, ... made his first appearance in Cairo. — Arthur Conan Doyle, The Debut of Bimbashi Joyce
- I seconded this proposal of my esteemed colleague, to reduce taxes.
Examples of second in a Sentence