near ExamplesEN[nɪə(ɹ)] [nɪɹ] [nɛə] [-ɪə(r)]
- Examples of near
- "This is a street fight," he proclaimed to an anticasino group near Baltimore as he distributed "casiNO" buttons."
- In a 3-to-2 vote, town officials in Brattleboro passed an emergency antinudity ordinance for main roads and near schools and places of worship.
- The car was near the back of the train.
- Other textiles can be found on the walls and floor of Joss Graham’s booth, which has a cheerful bazaarlike atmosphere. Mr. Graham has also organized a tented installation of Indian turbans from Rajasthan near the cafe area.
- The show focuses on three women, including the kittenish, outlandishly bosomed Keri, and Fran, a near-ringer for Mary Wilson of the Supremes .
- We're right near the lifeguard station. Come by before you leave.
- circumvallate papillae, near the base of the tongue
- They may be near the back of the pack now, but one of them is likely to emerge to vie with Howard Dean, the cybergenic former governor of Vermont [ …]
- We have a chopper down near the river.
- Examples of nears
- The ship nears the land.
- Examples of nearer
- We are nearer hand to the great coal districts, and there is a tendency for the men to go there. We are nearer hand to the great mining centres than are those that Mr. Scott represented
- Of this we may be sure, that the most haphazard guess at the cause by the most unlettered, nowaday, will be nearer the mark-thanks to the diffusion of knowledge—than were the speculations of the learned, ages ago [ …]
- Objective assessment is good but defeatism will reduce our potentials even when the prospects for victory have never been nearer.
- Examples of neared
- The horse broke into a gallop as they neared the barn.
- Examples of nearing
- The drop which thou shakest from thy wet hand, rests not where it falls, but to-morrow thou findest it swept away; already on the wings of the North-wind, it is nearing the Tropic of Cancer.
- Examples of nearest
- They also recorded the distance of each child’s home from the nearest limited-access highway and from other major nonfreeway roads.
- At this, the men nearest unto the door came backwards in a surge, being put in sudden fear by reason of the Thing being so near; but the bo'sun held up a hand, bidding them, in a low voice, to make no unneedful noise.
- We signalled to the nearest dancer, who came twirlingly over to us.
- In case of fire, get out by the nearest exit.
- A good place for watching this harried, inchoate process is the café nearest the church, whose specialty is affogato (stifled or suffocated or drowned).
- ... each of the marchers took his place beside the number nearest to him.
- I have conged with the duke, done my adieu with his nearest.
- The culprits were hanged from the nearest tree.
Examples of near in a Sentence