motionEN[ˈməʊʃən] [ˈmoʊʃən] [-əʊʃən]
- Examples of motion
- He filed a motion for a de novo hearing.
- He assembled it in one fluid, deft motion.
- Besides the revolution it maketh with its orbs, it hath also a dinetical motion, and rolls upon its own poles. — Sir Thomas Browne.
- His design for a perpetual motion machine is flawed because water does not flow uphill.
- He strives for husbandly allure in slow-motion ballads: “Love You Gently” and the role-reversing “Trading Places,” in which he calls for her to be the aggressive one and offers to make breakfast the next morning.
- Cumbersome, and impeditive of motion. — Bishop Hall.
- In fact, Tucker's use of parallel motion and open fourths as a central motivic element particularly reminded me of Stravinsky's sacred music, especially the quieter sections of Symphony of Psalms and the Mass.
- Examples of motions
- If your sport makes you prone to violent neck motions, you are at risk for a pinched nerve. A pinched nerve occurs when a cervical disc ruptures, and the jellylike material from inside the disc presses on a nerve.
- He was standing as he spoke, emphasising his periods with semaphoric motions of his right arm.
- The team played a spiritless first half, just going through the motions. But the realization they were playing for their sick friend energized them for the second half.
- The judge agreed to calendar a hearing for pretrial motions for the week of May 15, but did not agree to calendar the trial itself on a specific date.
- he is [ …] a perfect astrologer, that can cast the rise and fall of others, and mark their errant motions to his own use.
- He's been the seconder on many motions, but I don't think he's ever made a motion himself.
- A man must thorowly sound himselfe, and dive into his heart, and there see by what wards or springs the motions stirre.
- The motions of the minute parts of bodies [ …] are to be deprehended by experience. — Francis Bacon.
- Examples of motioned
- He motioned for me to come closer.
- He closed the door and motioned them to a tray. `Bog in, it's all on the house.'
Examples of motion in a Sentence