lastEN[lɑːst] [-ɑːst] [læst] [-æst] [last] [-ast] [ɫast]
- Examples of last
- This year's production has already outstripped last year's.
- Jack won the last match of blackjack; Theo overplayed.
- The first few shots went wonderfully, but Robin overplayed the last and lost.
- His uncle passed on last year.
- Knowing the auditors were coming in just a week, we chose to pencil whip the quarterly inventory forms for the last year.
- The dividends were small last year because we ploughed back most of the money to buy new machinery
- The dividends were small last year because we plowed back most of the money to buy new machinery
- They polished off the last of the cake.
- Examples of lasts
- Doing careful research before purchasing big-ticket items such as electronics, appliances, and automobiles can ensure that an investment lasts for many years.
- A Prince-Rupert's-drop, which is a tear of unannealed glass, lasts indefinitely, if you keep it from meddling hands; but break its tail off, and it explodes and resolves itself into powder.
- One gallon costs about $220, covers an acre and lasts through about two mowings.
- In France, a presidency lasts for five years.
- Examples of lasted
- His expensive tailored shirts didn't look that much better than off-the-rack, but they lasted much longer.
- It lasted close to an hour.
- We paid for utilities — which included space heaters in the winter and gas tanks that lasted a month and ran out midshower, and we spent a fortune on phone cards for the pay phone down the street.
- She kept to her bed while the fever lasted.
- It found that the beneficial effects of chewing gum on heartburn lasted up to three hours, “with a more profound effect in refluxers than in controls.”
- Danny Higginbotham was the only survivor from the weekend win over Bolton - but the Stoke captain lasted just 10 minutes before being forced off injured. That meant a reshuffle to the visitors' defence who were the busier in a lacklustre first half.
- The war lasted much longer than predicted.
- These shoes have lasted a nice long time.
- I don't know why he was so impressed with our previous boss; he lasted all of ten days in the position.
- Examples of lasting
- a sermon lasting two mortal hours
- Her words made a lasting impression on my mind.
- This Destruction of the Tea is so bold, so daring, so firm, intrepid and inflexible, and it must have so important Consequences, and so lasting, that I cant but consider it as an Epocha in History.
- An ideal son is his father's lasting lust.
- Busy angels spread / The lasting roll, recording what we say.
- The lasting frost winter-killed more critters then all predation
- He fears the dark, so he invented a longer lasting light bulb.
- In other experiment, dexamethasone resulted in hyperglycemic and hypoketonemic effect lasting 4 to 6 days in ketotic cows.
Examples of last in a Sentence