brown ExamplesEN[bɹaʊn] [-aʊn]
- Examples of brown
- 1819: The tramp of horses was now heard, and the Lady Rowena appeared, surrounded by several riders, and a much stronger party of footmen, who joyfully shook their pikes and clashed their brown-bills for joy of her freedom. — Walter Scott, Ivanhoe
- Slowly cooking the onions will cause caramelization which will bring out the sweetness and give them a brown color.
- Hae, man, there's a cawker to keep your heart warm; and set down that bottle," quoth I, wiping the saw-dust affn't with my hand, "to get a toast; I'se warrant it for Deacon Jaffrey's best brown stout."
- The cipollinis will brown quickly, so don't walk away while they're cooking.
- Its exterior is covered with clapboards stained dark brown.
- [ …] belts of thin white mist streaked the brown plough land in the hollow where Appleby could see the pale shine of a winding river. Across that in turn, meadow and coppice rolled away past the white walls of a village bowered in orchards, [ …]
- Doodles, therefore, wore a cut-away coat, a colored shirt with a fogle round his neck, old brown trousers that fitted very tightly round his legs, and was careful to take no gloves with him.
- Examples of browns
- The browns and greens in this painting give it a nice woodsy feel.
- I’ve started appreciating the beauty of ungreyed hair – the reds or blondes, browns and blacks that you never thought twice about when you had it.
- Examples of browned
- Bob was browned off when he was passed over for promotion.
- When that crust is nubbly and evenly browned, and the chicken meat is cooked through, the chicken is sublime.
- Let them cook, semicovered, for 5 minutes, then uncovered for a couple minutes more, until nicely browned.
- The pilot pulled up hard into a tight loop and browned out, losing sight of the target.
- At Quince in San Francisco, Michael Tusk, the chef, smokes fresh ricotta over fruitwood and spices until it’s lightly browned and crumbly.
- Examples of browning
Examples of brown in a Sentence