- (obsolete) A field.
- An English unit of land area (symbol: a. or ac.) originally denoting a day's plowing for a yoke of oxen, now standardized as 4,840 square yards or 4,046.86 square meters.
- Similar units of area in other systems.
- (informal, usually plural) A wide expanse.
- (informal, usually plural) A large quantity.
- (obsolete) The acre's breadth or length, English units of length equal to the statute dimensions of the acre: 22 yds (≈20 m) or 220 yrds (≈200 m).
- (obsolete) A duel fought between individual Scots and Englishmen in the borderlands.
Word of the day
Picture of the day
Sentence of the day
- Dangerous drivers are being targeted with an antispeeding campaign.